Honey Bee Farming As A Hobby: A Great Step To Minimize The Decrease Of Honey Bee PopulationReading Time: 2 minutes, 59 seconds Post Views: 1611
Honey bees are the little pollinators responsible for the pollination of nearly three-quarters of the plants. Honey bees are essential for the protection of environmental balance and biodiversity in nature. They provide the most recognizable ecosystem services, pollination, which is the thing that makes food creation conceivable. Thus, honey bees play an extremely vital role in protecting & maintaining the ecosystem and contribute greatly to biotic diversity.
Apart from pollination, honey bees also act as the indicator of climatic conditions. The presence, absence & quality of the honey bees indicates that something is occurring with the climate and that suitable activity is required to cope. But the world is facing a major problem of bee extinction. Though honey bees are important for pollination & to ensure food security & nutrition, honey bee colonies are collapsing at a deadly rate.
Beekeeping: A Hot Topic Today!
Beekeeping has become a hot topic today as a response to the extinction of these little buzzing creatures. Many people are now looking for beekeeping clubs & forums to gain more knowledge about beekeeping methods so that they do a bit in saving Mother Nature! Though raising honey bees is fascinating & rewarding, it requires proper planning, knowledge & a humble venture of time and cash to make an attempt fruitful.
Probably the greatest test for beekeepers in the most recent decade is the steep rise in the incidence of colony collapse disorder. Thus it's significant for the beekeepers go into the hobby with eyes open to the new challenges & seek professional help if required.
The ideal approach to begin is to take a class or contact a neighborhood beekeeping group where tutors will allow you to look as they work on their own hives. As beekeeping strategies differ with area, atmosphere, and climate, it is important to study various books and websites to learn about honey bee's activities & their preservation.
How to Attract Honey Bees?
In recent years, beekeeping has emerged out as a great choice of hobby. For such an interesting hobby, it is vital to know all the ins-and-outs of the process.
- Money – Getting into any hobby comes with its financial costing. Setting up a bee farm, hives, buying of equipment & other elements all do require money.
- Equipment – While starting with beekeeping, it is a must to have all basic equipment. The equipment list mainly comprises of –
- A beekeeper suit
- A pair of gloves
- A pair of boots
- A smoker
- A hive tool
- A hive
- ….and of course, the bees
- Time – Beekeeping is a process that requires various tasks all around the year. Planning activities & acting as per the season is necessary for taking proper care of the bees.
- Safety & Attention – Proper safety measures related to bee health needs to be considered. Keeping a check at the hives condition & bees health is a must to save them from allergies & diseases.
- Location – This is, by far, the most important consideration. Picking up the best location that catches the morning sun, has a windbreak at the back of the hive, and receives the right amount of sun is necessary for setting up a bee farm is necessary.
Consistent learning is important while doing beekeeping as a hobby. As a characteristic beekeeper, it is important to join a steadily developing and changing beekeeping subculture. As demand for honey bees & beehives is increasing day by day, Geohoney put forth a valiant effort to save the little pollinators & our Mother Nature!